The Hayes Presidential Center, Inc. operates and manages the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums. A non-profit entity, it receives the majority of its funding through the Rutherford B. Hayes–Lucy Webb Hayes Foundation. The State of Ohio also provides an annual appropriation administered through the Ohio History Connection (formerly the Ohio Historical Society).
The Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums is America’s first presidential library and the forerunner for the federal presidential library system. HPLM is located at President Hayes’ 25-acre wooded estate, called Spiegel Grove.
Shortly after President Rutherford B. Hayes died in 1893, his second son, Col. Webb C. Hayes, began plans to open a museum and library that would be a memorial to his father and make his father’s presidential papers and books available to the public for research and learning.
Webb deeded Spiegel Grove to the state of Ohio and his father’s personal papers and possessions to the Ohio Historical Society contingent on the construction of a “fireproof building” that would house the museum and library on the grounds of the estate. [Read More]